Royal Visit to Prested
Exciting news from Prested is that we are going to be visited by HRH Prince Edward, the Earl of Wessex in July as part of the Duke of Edinburgh Awards Scheme Tennis Challenge.
HRH The Earl of Wessex, who now heads up the DofE Awards scheme, is seeking to play every Real Tennis court in the world – to raise significant funds to enable more young people to start their DofE both in the UK and abroad.
About the DofE Awards
Achieving a Duke of Edinburgh’s Award isn’t the end of a DofE journey, it’s just the beginning. Many Award holders go on to embrace a lifetime of volunteering, pursue a career using their honed skill or develop a love for the outdoors.
HRH The Earl of Wessex is no different to other Award holders and, over 30 years on from achieving his Gold Award, is continuing to improve on skills learned during his Physical section activity, playing Real Tennis, with the aim of supporting a new generation of DofE participants to experience the DofE’s life-changing benefits.
Throughout 2018 HRH The Earl of Wessex will seek to play every Real Tennis court in the world – to raise significant funds to enable more young people to start their DofE both in the UK and abroad. At nearly 50 Real Tennis locations worldwide (28 courts in the UK), HRH will visit DofE centres, host fundraising events, meet DofE participants and volunteers, and test his Real Tennis skills by playing over 80 sets of tennis with young people and other community members.
The vital funds that The Earl raises will help the DofE Charity to transform the lives of young people from all backgrounds and circumstances, across the globe; equipping them with the skills and attributes to reach their potential in life and work.
There are many opportunities to be involved in this unique undertaking.
HRH’s tour will encompass a full day of DofE activities at 25 locations across the UK:
- Total of 81 sets of Real Tennis played by December 2018, including exhibition matches
- Visits to schools and communities celebrating young people who are doing their DofE
- Daytime and evening fundraising events to enable more young people to benefit from the DofE.
Tour venues (dates to be announced):
- Cambridge University Tennis Court (2 courts) – January 2018
- Bristol Real Tennis Club – February 2018
- Holyport Real Tennis Club – February 2018
- Manchester Tennis & Racquet Club – March 2018
- Queen’s Club (2 courts) – March 2018
- MCC, Lord’s Ground – March 2018
- Seacourt Tennis Club – April 2018
- Petworth House Tennis Club – May 2018
- Newmarket Real Tennis Club – May 2018
- Radley College – May 2018
- Canford School – June 2018
- Hardwick House – June 2018
- Oratory Tennis Club – June 2018
- Hatfield House Tennis Club – June 2018
- Hyde Tennis Club – June 2018
- Prested Hall Racket Club (2 courts) – July 2018
- Fairlawn Estate – July 2018
- Falkland Palace Royal Tennis Club – July 2018
- Leamington Tennis Court Club – September 2018
- Moreton Morrell Tennis Court Club – September 2018
- Wellington College Real Tennis Club – September 2018
- Jesmond Dene Real Tennis Club – October 2018
- Oxford University Tennis Court – November 2018
- Middlesex University Real Tennis Club – November 2018
- Royal Tennis Court, Hampton Court – November 2018
There are lots of exciting opportunities for both members and non-members, juniors and seniors. Tables at a gala dinner will be sold on a first come, first serve basis, HRH will play 3 sets of doubles with both juniors and seniors.
For more information on how you can get involved in sponsorship, to request information about the gala dinner or to enter the raffle to win the chance of playing a match with or against HRH, please email here.